Monday, September 1, 2008

Five Graphic Designers...

-Rob Janoff is best known for being the designer of the Apple Computers logo. But he has done a few other corporate logos as well. I like how in this design, Janoff chose to use this many colored, horizontal stripes with such a simple basic design. He took something basic in nature, and turned it into a logo representing some of the most complicated things in life. The logo is believed to be based off either the eating of the forbidden fruit (which led to the knowledge of man) or the story of Alan Turing, who was killed by eating an apple laced with cyanide. 
The original corporate Apple logo from 1976 to 1999

-Dave Keller is currently a New Media Design student at the Academy of Art University in San Fransico, California. I chose to write something about Dave because I really enjoy his work and what he does. I also chose him because he is a big influence in my life. This is a two spread magazine layout about himself that he designed. I know its not a logo or even the best example of typography, but I really like the use of space and the way he used the images on the page to help balance everything.  
Artist Dossier

-I really enjoy this design done by David Carson. It's a design for a studio he opened in europe. I like how all the objects in this image are pointing back to the focal point in the center, which just keeps drawing your eye outward. This is a powerful piece to me which demonstrates exactly what Carson is thinking. He is confident that his work will have a major impact on the world around him, and that he is going to change the way people think about graphic design. 

-Tibor Kalman is not the type of designer that strives to inform the public of current social issues.  In this design for an umbrella, Kalman cleverly demonstrates optimism. I like the contrast between the outside of the umbrella and the inside of the umbrella, I think it further assists in creating the feeling of optimism. Not only does this design help cheer people up when the weather is miserable outside, it's also very functional. 


I really like this image that Saul Bass did for the 1984 Olympic games in Los Angeles. I think it captures one of the most important ideas experienced throughout the whole olympics... striving to do what no other has yet done. This image has a very well balance between the negative and the positive space. In this poster, the olympian seems super-natural, which is basically how many people view the real athletes of the olympics. 



No comments: